Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Homemade Giant Building Blocks - Lightweight and Inexpensive

One of the simplest toys I've ever made my children, and also one they think is just awesome:

Giant cardboard box building blocks


I just wrapped up a few of the empty cardboard boxes (mostly from diapers and Amazon purchases) I've been hoarding in my craft room, with inexpensive wrapping paper. The paper I used was purchased at Dollar Tree a few years ago. I'm not sure if they still stock it. It has the texture of a brown paper sack, which I thought was really nice, and it's much thicker than typical gift wrap.

They're very lightweight and easy for my toddler to pick up, stack, and - the very best part - knock down. The baby has even found himself in the avalanche path a couple of times and managed to escape injury!



We decided the boxes needed a little more color, so we're working on painting them.

I was running out of paper, so this one only got a few sheets taped over the shipping labels.


I think I'll wrap up some of the shoeboxes I have squirreled away as well and add them to the mix. The collection takes up a considerable amount of space in the playroom, but once we've had our fun with them, we'll have an unwrapping party, then fold them away for another project.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Crystal Underwood said...

What a great idea!! I just wanted to let you know I am featuring this tomorrow on Tuesday Tots. I have also pinned it. Thanks for sharing it with TT :)

Anonymous said...

These look great : )

I have a plan for when I have kids that I will save cereal boxes, turn them inside out and then velcro the tops and bottoms. That way, we can have big bricks like yours, that can be easily flat packed away.

Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

Velcro is a pretty brilliant addition!