Friday, January 18, 2013

February's Bookshelf

I love February. The weather may be rather grim here, but the month is packed full of interesting holidays and observances: Groundhog Day (2), Chinese New Year sometimes (10 this year), National Inventors Day (11), Valentine's Day (14), Presidents Day (18 this year), Leap Day sometimes (29 - not this year).

Some great birthdays: Rosa Parks (4), Babe Ruth (6), Laura Ingalls Wilder and Charles Dickens (7), Abraham Lincoln (12), Susan B. Anthony (15), George Washington (22).

The board game Monopoly first hit stores in February (6), Hershey's chocolate was founded (9), and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood first aired (19). February is also Black History Month.

In honor of all these special days, I did our monthly bookshelf rotation today. I like to do it a couple of weeks in advance, so we can begin to talk about these days before they're upon us.



Our shelf consists of books of love, My First Little House books, and books pertaining to Black History in different times and places.

Valentine's Reading
How Do I Love You - A simple rhyming board book with sweet, colorful illustrations.

I Love You the Purplest - A story of a mother's love for her two boys. Addresses the concept of a parent loving all their children equally in individual ways.

Grandfather's Lovesong - A grandfather's love for his grandson expressed with poetic imagery.

One Zillion Valentines - Two boys decide to make valentines for everyone in their neighborhood.

I Like Me - One of my favorite books, featuring a little pig listing all the wonderful things she loves about herself.

Snuggle Puppy - We're Boynton fanatics. This book is a cheery rhyming "song" of a parent's love for their little "snuggle puppy."

Laura Ingalls Wilder Reading 
We're working on acquiring the whole "My First Little House" series. They're beautiful books and very faithful to the originals in plot, characters, writing style, and illustrations. They've got a soft, gentle feel, and my kids and I love to curl up and read about "Pa and Ma and Laura and Mary and baby Carrie and their good old bulldog Jack." Wonderful introduction to Wilder's books for the youngest audiences.
Summertime in the Big Woods
The Deer in the Wood
Dance at Grandpa's

Black History Reading
Uncle Jed's Barbershop - Set in the 1920s in the US.
Over the Green Hills - Set in rural South Africa.
Tell Me a Story, Mama - Set in the present day with memories of Mama's life.

These are books that have already existed in our home library for many years and are well-loved. This year, we've also added the new titles: The Story of Rosa Parks, The Valentine Bears, Abe Lincoln's Hat, Bringing in the New Year, and Substitute Groundhog. I'm eager to see how my children take to these new stories.

In the past, we've kept our seasonal reading, music, toys, and treasure baskets on the entry credenza, but we've recently done a bit of furniture rearranging and now have a shelf of toys in the kitchen to keep the kids entertained while meals are made. The seasonal books, as well as Meg's daily fun box activities are now stored here, too.




Photobucket

2 comments:

Sansha said...

I don't know about Black History month but Obama wrote a children's book that I have that I can recommend. It is basically about all sorts of wonderful people from history.

Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

I just looked that book up on Amazon and read a few excerpts, and it's beautiful. I'm so glad you mentioned it. I couldn't help ordering it.