Sunday, January 20, 2013

Puffy braids, crossover, messy buns, and twists

The first day that Meg (3) asked me for "fancy hair," this is what I came up with. I've seen these called "puffy braids" on hair blogs. I did two parallel rows of them on top, crossed their tails over in back, and finished with messy bun pigtails. For the messy buns, you just secure the hair into a regular looped bun with an elastic, then scrunch the hair up in your hand and wrap another elastic around it to hold the scrunching in place. Very technical stuff, this is. ;) Meg has a partially grown out stacked bob, so she has a shorter layer of hair underneath. This hair was too short to catch into the pigtails, so I divided it in two pieces and twisted them up the head and secured with clips under the buns.





*I don't like to pull Meg's hair too tightly, both for her comfort and to avoid damaging her hair. I only heat treat (blowdry or use the curling iron) and use product on rare special occasions. You'll get a more polished look if you do these things, but I'd rather she be comfy and protect her hair while she's so young. I think she still looks darling even with things a bit looser.*


Photobucket

2 comments:

Sansha said...

I wish Hazie would let me do her hair more often. She insists it must always be long like Rapunzel.

Laura Ingalls wannabe said...

I do wonder how much longer Meg will let me play around. I've got to admit I'm really having fun with it. Most days I can't be bothered to do much more than run a brush through mine, but styling someone else's hair is so much easier and the payoff is nicer when you get to admire it all day.